Pearsall's Books

This blog is defunct! Check out my new music blog at Sonicrampage.org.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Boozing in Gaza

I've only just been introduced to the awesomely fun blog Chase Me Ladies, I'm in the Cavalry, but poking around his archives I found this (presumably quite old) post about drinking in Gaza:

We had a lesson the other day in which the word "pub" cropped up in some context or other. What were these "pubs", they wanted to know. I did my best to explain how pubs work.

They doubted it would catch on in Gaza: "If anyone opens a "pub" here, I will kill him," said one man, shaking with rage. It wasn't clear to me what he meant by he would "kill" him, whether this meant, "give him a piece of my mind," or "butcher him like a goat." I am thinking of going one step further and opening a massage parlour, selling whisky, pork chops and copies of the Satanic Verses. I'll make a fortune if they don't chop my head off for me. They wanted to know if I had ever drunk beer myself. I admitted that yes, on a couple of occasions, I had experimented. In the world beyond Gaza it is very popular, I explained. But why, they asked. Why do people drink beer? I thought about this for a moment. "It makes you feel... optimistic," I said," although in the long run it makes you fat and stupid." I think I summed up the pros and cons rather well.

Go read the whole thing.

|| RPH || 12:15 AM || |