Pearsall's Books

This blog is defunct! Check out my new music blog at Sonicrampage.org.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Jubb on Me on Immigration & Identity

My good friend Robert Jubb has responded to my series of posts from the last couple months on the question of European identities (see here, here, and here). I am still working on a full-length response, but go read what he has to say (I make a few brief comments after his post, but there is much more to come).

I would also suggest, for anyone interested in these issues, downloading the Danish tv documentary "Holland: The End of the Multicultural Dream", that I linked to (right-click, save as) back in November. It's 56 megs, so I'd recommend downloading it only to those who have broadband internet access. Particularly important, I think, are two scenes. One where a Dutch professor describes Dutch tolerance as really being a matter of indifference, of 'do as you like as long as you don't bother me,' and the scene where the reporter talks to the two young Dutch-Moroccan men who describe how they feel both rejected by Dutch society and alienated from traditional Moroccan society.

|| RPH || 9:45 PM || |