Pearsall's Books

This blog is defunct! Check out my new music blog at Sonicrampage.org.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Paddington Green

I find it odd that none of the analyses of why Edgware Road station was bombed mentioned that it is very close to Paddington Green police station, which is perhaps the most important high security police station in London, where the British Guantanamo Bay prisoners were interrogated on their arrival back in London, and where IRA suspects were routinely interrogated during The Troubles.

But as you can see from the map, that police station is just the other side of the Marylebone Flyover and is no more than two minutes walk away (my parents live nearby, so I know the area well). I don't think that it was a compelling factor in the decision of where to bomb, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

By the way, if you're ever in the area, as you walk up the Edgware Road towards Maida Vale, there's a fantastic (and cheap!) Burmese restaurant named Mandalay on the right side of the road opposite the Paddington Green Estate that is 100% recommended.

|| RPH || 1:42 AM || |